What is it that has made Tiger Woods so great in his career?
I just finished reading a very interesting article about becoming great in your career. During this economy, striving for excellence is a great idea, so that you can create your own economy by making sure that who you are, as a person, and the value you bring to your work place is of a degree of excellence such that employers are seeking you out.
Here is an abbreviated tip sheet from the article I read in Fortune magazine:
1. Approach each critical task with an explicit goal of getting much better at it.
2. As you do the task, focus on what's happening and why you're doing it the way you are.
3. After the task, get feedback on your performance from multiple sources. Make changes in your behavior as necessary.
4. Continually build mental models of your situation - your industry, your company, your career. Enlarge the models to encompass more factors.
5. Do those steps regularly, not sporadically. Occasional practice does not work.